Utility Operator (I, II, III, or IV)
Overall Job Objective
- Position may be filled at the I, II, III, or IV level, depending on qualifications and department needs.Hiring incentives are available for all levels.
Candidates who possess both certifications and CDL upon hire may receive up to an additional 10%.
The City of Littleton is looking for a knowledgeable Utility Operator (I, II, III, or IV) to perform skilled work in the operation of vehicles and equipment to maintain and repair sanitary sewer collection and storm drainage utility systems. The work involves the performance of duties related to all aspects of the repair and maintenance of these systems. The Utility Operator uses a city laptop and iPad to enter job information and asset tracking data as well as perform utility locates. Advancement opportunities within this series are available and require additional years of experience and certifications.
The ideal candidate enjoys hard work and being part of a team. These positions work in teams of two with rotating responsibilities to accomplish daily and ongoing projects. The ideal candidate has good computer skills and is mechanical minded and adept at using a variety of tools, equipment, and vehicles. Every day is different, and you will never get bored as there are many ongoing Public Works projects throughout the city that require knowledgeable Utility staff participation. If you are already skilled in utilities work, or you are eager to learn and you desire to gain valuable certifications, this is a great opportunity with the City of Littleton!
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to its employees. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities.
Utility Operator I
Full Pay Range $20.74 to $31.10
Starting pay for candidates with no certifications: $25.92 per hour
Starting pay for candidates with current Wastewater Collection Operator Certification Class 1 and CDL: $28.51 per hour
Utility Operator II
Full Pay Range: $22.95 to $34.43
Starting pay at or near $28.69 per hour
Up to 10% hiring incentive available
Utility Operator III
Full Pay Range: $25.29 to $37.93
Starting pay at or near $31.61 per hour
Up to 10% hiring incentive available
Utility Operator IV
Full Pay Range: $29.98 to $44.96
Starting pay at or near $37.47 per hour
Up to 10% hiring incentive available
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This full-time position will work 7:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. After probationary and training period, this position will be required to participate in emergency on-call rotation one out of every five or six weeks. Must be available to work nights and weekends as needed for emergency calls.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs preventive maintenance on sanitary sewer and storm drainage collection systems.
- Operates a closed-circuit television inspection camera to televise, inspect, evaluate, and repair the condition of sanitary sewer and storm drainage sewer systems.
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs lift station pumping equipment controls as scheduled, required, or assigned.
- Performs snow and ice removal as needed.
- Gathers and enters data for the asset management tracking system.
- Performs operator's maintenance and repair on assigned vehicles and equipment as scheduled, required, or assigned.
- Performs mechanical tasks involving hydraulic pumps and small motors and repairs the camera support track device equipment.
- Participates in emergency on-call rotation for emergencies as well as performing 811 emergency locates with one-hour response time, online and/or physically locating utilities as needed.
- May be responsible for instruction, guidance, and oversight of temporary/seasonal employees in accordance with established work standards and procedures.
- Performs other similar duties and projects as assigned.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Minimum Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications for Utility Operator I:
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- Six (6) months of experience in general construction, roadwork, utilities, wastewater operations, or a similar field; and the ability to obtain the following within the listed timeframe (the City of Littleton coordinates and pays for training and certifications):
- Wastewater Collection Operator Certification Class 1 required within probationary period, typically first six (6) months of employment; and
- National Association of Sewer Service Companies (NASSCO) Pipeline Assessment and Certification Program (PACP) and Manhole Assessment and Certification Program (MACP) required within twelve (12) months of employment; and
- Traffic Control Flagger Certification required within three (3) months of employment; and
- Valid Class "B"’ Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brake and tanker certifications required upon hire or within six (6) months of employment; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must be able to maintain above certifications and license during employment.
- Must be located within one hour of the City of Littleton for after-hours emergency response calls and emergency locate calls.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, DOT drug screen and DOT physical.
Minimum Qualifications for Utility Operator II:
- Same as Utility Operator I; and
- Two (2) years of related experience that included twelve (12) months of experience as a certified Utility Operator I (Wastewater Collection Operator Class 1); and
- Wastewater Collection Operator Certification Class 2 and ability to maintain this level certification during employment.
Minimum Qualifications for Utility Operator III:
- Same as Utility Operator II; and
- Three (3) years of related experience that included twelve (12) months of experience as a certified Utility Operator II (Wastewater Collection Operator Class 2); and
- Wastewater Collection Operator Certification Class 3 and ability to maintain this level certification during employment.
Minimum Qualifications for Utility Operator IV:
- Same as Utility Operator III; and
- Four (4) years of related experience that included twelve (12) months of experience as a certified Utility Operator III (Wastewater Collection Operator Class 3); and
- Wastewater Collection Operator Certification Class 4 and ability to maintain this level certification during employment; and
- May fulfill "Certified Operator in Responsible Charge" duties as defined by Colorado Regulation 100; and
- In the absence of the Operations Supervisor the Utility Operator IV may perform the following lead level responsibilities:
- Plan, schedule, prioritize, and monitor work of assigned staff
- Train staff, provide feedback, and make recommendations for performance and training needs
- Collaborate with peers in other divisions and departments as needed to complete cross-disciplinary projects
The following experience is desirable but not required:
- Sanitary sewer or storm drainage maintenance experience
- Road work or utility experience during peak traffic periods
- Strong mechanical skills and experience with vehicle and equipment maintenance or repair
- Snow removal experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- The required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in this section each include a requirement that the employee in this position be able to apply the knowledge, skills, or abilities to safely and effectively perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position following the regulations and ordinances of the City of Littleton and the State of Colorado’s Regulation 100.
- Requires knowledge of the principles of hydraulics and mechanics in the operation and maintenance of assigned vehicles and equipment. Requires basic electrical and engineering knowledge.
- Requires knowledge of the principles and practices of light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicle and equipment operation and maintenance. Requires basic mechanical aptitude and knowledge of the principles and practices of hand and power tool operation.
- Requires basic knowledge of electrical principles and their application to motors, pumps, and controls.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate with upset citizens.
- Ability to use and apply technology, using a computer and designated software to perform daily responsibilities.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Requires ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs. regularly and 75 lbs. with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work outdoors while exposed to adverse weather conditions; exposure to fumes, odors and dusts; exposure to mists and humidity from sewers; exposure to sewer gases, poor ventilation, and sewage; exposure to equipment movement, vibration, and exhaust; vehicle and equipment noise estimated at 92 decibels of unprotected noise exposure (the use of hearing protection devices to reduce noise exposure to permissible OSHA levels is mandatory); exposure to mechanical hazards; exposure to electrical hazards; exposure to radiant energy and burn hazards; and occasional exposure to toxic and caustic chemicals and explosive gases (Personal Protection Equipment is mandatory while performing hazards duties).
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4055494