City Planners are responsible for coordinating and managing a wide variety of projects for the City of Littleton. Planners are expected to be part of a dynamic team including engineers, utility providers, economic development specialists, building officials, emergency service providers, historic preservationists, neighborhood groups, and many others working to ensure the best development within the City of Littleton.
This position will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects including more complex development review such as master development plans, along with long-range projects such as code updates, a comprehensive plan update, area plans and process improvement programs.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of planning experience with focus on both development review, code amendments, and long-range planning projects. The ideal candidate is experienced in a wide variety of planning disciplines and is an experienced public speaker with strong communication and presentation skills and familiarity with public outreach and engagement.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $86,756 per year
Salary range: $69,405 - $104,107
This full-time position is exempt per FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position and has the option to work a hybrid schedule with some days teleworking and some days working in person at the office. This position may also be eligible for flex-work schedule. City Planners are expected to work evenings on occasion to support the Littleton City Council and its boards and commissions.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to inquiries by the public regarding zoning and subdivision requirements, potential uses of buildings and land, addressing, and signage.
- Prepares staff reports and makes clear and organized presentations before city council, planning commission, historical preservation board, and the board of adjustment in a complete and timely manner.
- Drafts policy for inclusion in long range plans.
- May assist the GIS division with the creation or update of city maps.
- Analyzes land use applications for compliance with adopted policy and the city code.
- May provide staff support for the planning commission, board of adjustment, and historical preservation board including scheduling meetings and preparing agendas.
- Research planning topics and writes technical reports as assigned.
- Leads pre-application meetings; reviews and makes final decisions on applications for sign permits, and other administratively reviewed development applications.
- Conducts field inspections for compliance with approved plans and coordinates with the building and code enforcement division on the enforcement of the sign code and fence permits.
- Participates in development review team meetings.
- May collaborate with educators of primary or secondary school urban planning projects and studios.
- Uses a city issued computer and various software programs to produce written communications and accomplish other work products.
- Delivers work products and services to customers within assigned full-time work schedule.
- Drafts zoning ordinances and/or amendments to existing ordinances.
- Leads consultant teams.
- Develops, leads and participates in public engagement efforts.
- May participate in grant application efforts on behalf of the city.
- Observes and follows established city and departmental policies and procedures.
- May appear as a witness for the city in municipal or district court regarding zoning matters.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Master’s degree in urban planning or a closely related field; and
- Five (5) years of professional experience in the field of planning and community development; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check and motor vehicle records check.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification strongly preferred
- Experience with permit tracking software
- Experience managing multiple planning cases / multiple case types
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of city codes and ordinances, Colorado Revised Statues as they relate to planning, and locations of city neighborhoods and the general layout of the city.
- Advanced level of understanding of current events in the city and how they relate to proposed private developments and ongoing and proposed public projects in the city.
- Ability to identify and understand neighborhood issues and concerns.
- Knowledge of zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Knowledge of the various neighborhood plans, corridor plans and the city comprehensive plan.
- Detailed knowledge of urban planning principles.
- Ability to read and interpret codes, regulations, meeting minutes, technical manuals, and statutes.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4039324