Mobile Library Assistant (Temporary)
Overall Job Objective
- Temporary position through December 2023
The City of Littleton is looking for a dynamic individual to help roll out the new bookmobile for Bemis Library. This is a temporary full-time position funded through December 2023.
The Mobile Library Assistant provides extraordinary customer service to bookmobile and other patrons accessing outreach services. They are the point of contact for bookmobile patrons and are responsible for creating a positive initial impression of the library, resolving questions and issues regarding patron accounts, and providing general information about the library. This position is tasked with the efficient and accurate circulation of library materials on the bookmobile, which includes checking in and out of library materials, acquiring and processing reserved items for patrons, stocking the bookmobile collection to ensure materials are fresh and relevant, and driving the bookmobile to a variety of stops in the Littleton community. They will also be responsible for answering reference and reader’s advisory questions and instructing patrons how to use library resources, including electronic resources and digital content, either on the Bookmobile or at a library information desk
The ideal candidate is passionate about public library work, outreach, and serving the public in creative ways. Exceptional candidates will have strong interpersonal skills, adaptability, an eye for detail, and the willingness and ability for working in a traditional library environment as well as taking the library on the road!
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. For benefit information, please see our 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $19.28 per hour
This full-time temporary position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This full-time temporary position will work 8:00 am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday and some weekends and evenings are expected/required.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Checks out library materials to patrons according to established written procedures.
- Registers patrons for library cards by verifying identification and entering information into the integrated library system.
- Collects fees for damaged or lost library materials from library patrons and updates balance on patron account.
- Contacts patrons regarding damaged or missing library items.
- Resolves problems with patron accounts and explains policies for patrons in a way that is easily understood.
- Checks in library materials using an RFID pad or scanner.
- Processes reserved items by removing expired reserved items from the hold shelf, generating daily hold reports, locating patrons’ reserved items, and shelving reserved items on the hold shelf.
- Processes books for courier to deliver to other libraries.
- Creates and processes "claims returned" and "missing item" reports and conducts searches to locate these items.
- Performs other related assignments and projects as required.
- Stocks and refreshes the Bookmobile collection.
- Works with Collection Development Librarians to ensure the Bookmobile collection is kept current and reflects the needs of Bookmobile patrons.
- Drives the bookmobile in a safe and courteous manner.
- Provides reader’s advisory and general reference services..
- Advises patrons in the use of personal electronic devices.
- Operates a personal computer with assigned software including the library’s ILS and discovery layer, the Internet, office software, and online databases.
- Plans and arranges workload and establishes priorities to complete scheduled assigned work within the parameters and deadlines assigned by supervisor.
- Consistently enforces library standards and rules of safety and conduct.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Observes and follows established city and department policies and procedures in the conduct of the job.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent; and
- Two (2) years of Public Library work experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, drug screen and physical.
- Bookmobile or similar experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of general library principles and procedures to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Intermediate knowledge and skills in computer operations, word processing and spreadsheet software, troubleshooting, and the ability to access and retrieve needed information.
- General knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System.
- General knowledge of Colorado Patron Privacy law and ALA Code of Ethics.
- General knowledge and skills using an integrated library system.
- Ability to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with patrons and staff members who request information and services and deescalate situations when appropriate.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Work for this position is performed indoors and outdoors in a public building environment and a mobile library vehicle. This work may include occasional exposure to dust from books, electrical hazards from computer equipment, and variations in temperature as work is performed inside a building and in a vehicle.
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying of bins books weighing up to 50 pounds, retrieving books and other materials from bookshelves at heights ranging from one foot to seven feet; frequent pushing of wheeled book carts weighing 50-100 pounds with or without assistance and up and down ramps.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Computer terminal with assigned software; laptop computer; online computer catalog; computer peripherals (i.e. printers, scanners, LCD projectors, RFID pads), books, magazines, multimedia materials; alarm system.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 4000097