Library Assistant, Youth Services - Part Time
If you love working with children and teens, the City of Littleton has a wonderful opportunity in the Youth Services Division of Bemis Library!
Bemis Library continues to serve as a center for community activities, research, and popular reading programs. We have introduced new technology to the community by offering free computer workstations, computer training classes, and the addition of TheStudio@Bemis, a state-of-the-art tech lab for digitization, recording, robotics, arts & crafts, 3D printing and more!
The division of Youth Services offers reading programs and activities for children and teens including the Teen Deck with games, gadgets and activities specifically designed for middle and high school ages.
The Library Assistant will furnish a high quality and variety of customer services to library users: answer reference questions and reader’s advisory questions for customers, provide assistance to library patrons in locating information and materials, and instructing patrons how to use library resources, including electronic resources and digital content.
The ideal candidate has experience planning and implementing engaging library programs and activities for children and teens and is enthusiastic about developing the love of reading from a young age.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees.
This position will work 20 hours per week and is eligible for part-time benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, retirement matching, and paid time off. For more information, please see our 2022 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $19.28 per hour
Salary range: $15.42 - $23.14
This part-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This part-time position will be expected to work 20 hours per week, ideally: 12-5 Sunday,
11-8 Monday, and 9-5 alternating Friday and Saturday.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is established or the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by September 21st, 2022. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Through verbal or written communication and knowledgeable questioning, determines customer’s needs and provides the information or assistance required to satisfy the customer needs.
- Accurately answers internal and external customers’ questions by using the resources of the library. Questions are answered face-to-face and by use of a telephone, or email.
- Provides formal and informal training to patrons in the use of library resources, including electronic resources and library equipment.
- Operates a personal computer with assigned software including the library’s ILS and Discovery layer, the Internet, office software, and online databases.
- Assists customers in using the equipment resources of the library.
- Plans and arranges workload and establishes priorities to complete scheduled, assigned work within the parameters and deadlines assigned by supervisor.
- Maintains daily order and safety. Consistently enforces library standards and rules of safety and conduct.
- Delivers work products and services with responsiveness, courtesy, and tact in personal interactions with customers and staff.
- Delivers work products and services to customers within either a regular or on-call work schedule; may be required to work any of the normal business hours, including weekend and evening hours.
- Observes and follows established city and department policies and procedures in the conduct of the job.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Assists the teen librarian in conducting programs for teens.
- Assists with organizing annual youth services reading programs
- Creates and arranges bulletin boards and 3-dimensional displays
- Facilitates library programs, including contacting performers/speakers, making necessary setup arrangements for programs, tracking attendance, introducing performers/speakers, and assisting the division head in compiling an annual list of scheduled programs.
- Maintains library shelves by shelving library materials and shelf reading as needed and maintains order and neatness of the Children's Room and Teen Deck in general.
- Plans and presents library programs and classes for youth from birth through grade 12. This activity includes youth reading programs, giving library tours, teaching games and crafts, conducting story times, and assisting in patron learning, reading stories, singing, storytelling, preparing and presenting puppet shows, and performing related activities.
- Staffs library outreach booths at community programs.
- Provides social media content sites and updates other online web sites with scheduled library program information
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent; and
- A minimum of two (2) years of Public Library work experience; and
- One (1) year working with children and teens; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience planning and implementing youth programs and activities
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of general library principles and procedures to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Knowledge in the field of literature and literature reference sources and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Advanced knowledge of computer operations, word processing and spreadsheet software, and troubleshooting; basic skills in computer operation and the ability to access and retrieve needed information using the computer and assist and instruct customers in the use of library computer equipment.
- Expert ability to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with customers and staff members who request information and services. Customers may occasionally be angry, argumentative, or disagreeable. Ability to establish and conduct verbal communications through speaking, talking, and hearing.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Work for this position is performed indoors in a public building environment. This work may include occasional exposure to dust from books and electrical hazards from computer equipment. Some of the work is performed outdoors assisting with library programs.
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying of books weighing 0-50 pounds, retrieving books and other materials from bookshelves at heights ranging from one foot to seven feet; frequent pushing of wheeled book carts weighing 50-100 pounds with or without assistance.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Computer terminal with assigned software and public access; online computer catalog, computer peripherals, scanner, LCD projectors, Microsoft Office 365, Sierra Integrated Library System, telephone, photocopy machines; microfilm/fiche reader/printer; books, magazines, multimedia materials; alarm system.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 3709871