Grounds Maintenance Worker (Grounds and Open Space)
Do you enjoy working outdoors? The City of Littleton has an opportunity for a Grounds Maintenance Worker to join our busy grounds crew in a permanent full-time benefits-eligible position. Our Grounds Maintenance Workers perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the maintenance, repair, and operation of the City's landscaped public grounds, hardscape areas, parking lots, sidewalks, pedestrian paths and medians. The ideal candidate has a love of the outdoors and experience constructing and/or maintaining turf and landscaped grounds.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see our Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton
Starting pay at or near $18.25 per hour
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 6:30 am to 3 pm.
This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains turf grass using riding lawn mowers, push (walk-behind) lawn mowers and string trimmers.
- Installs, maintains, prunes and removes trees, shrubs and perennial flowers.
- Picks up trash and removes weeds from the City's landscaped public grounds.
- Maintains assigned equipment, including vehicles and equipment by performing operator maintenance checks.
- Performs preparation and maintenance activities include, tilling, soil aeration and fertilizing; pest control; watering, removal, and cold weather maintenance.
- Performs snow and ice removal from walkways, driveways, and parking lots as directed using hand and powered snow removal equipment.
- Installs and repairs holiday lighting displays.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in grounds maintenance; arboriculture; landscape horticulture; hardscape construction and maintenance, or a closely related field; or
- An equivalent combination of formal education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, drug screen and physical.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of turf and landscape maintenance and the skill and ability to safely maintain and operate the following tools, power equipment, and vehicles: riding lawn mowers; push and walk-behind mowers; turf aerators; pick-up truck with utility trailers; power edgers, hedge trimmers and weed whips; pick-up truck with mounted water tank and pony motor, backpack weed sprayer, rototiller; aerial lift truck; dump truck with hydraulic bed; skid steer loaders; hand shovels, rakes, pick axes; tree chipper and gasoline engine powered chain saw following instruction and on-the-job training.
- Knowledge of landscape horticulture including identification, maintenance, pest control and pruning of trees, shrubs, perennial and annual flowers.
- Ability to perform roadway traffic control with cones and signs.
- Mechanical knowledge and aptitude; the ability to read, understand, and follow technical manuals relating to the operation, repair, and maintenance of assigned equipment; the skill and ability to perform mechanical problem diagnosis, trouble-shooting, and light engine repair for assigned equipment in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of hardscape construction and maintenance and the skill and ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Work is performed indoors in a shop environment; and outdoors and includes exposure to adverse weather conditions; noise exposure up to 130 decibels (unprotected exposure) (use of protective hearing devices is mandatory for all laboring positions working with or in proximity to gasoline engine-powered maintenance equipment to reduce noise exposure to permissible OSHA exposure levels); exposure to equipment vibrations; fumes, and odors from engine exhausts and chemicals; odors, dusts, mists, gases, pollens, molds, insects, rodents; mechanical and electrical hazards; work in high exposed work sites; exposure to burn potential from hot exhaust systems; explosive fumes from fuels and chemicals; exposure to toxic and caustic chemicals contained in pesticides, fertilizers and lubricants. Use of eye protection is mandatory for all laboring positions using power lawn mowers, weed whips, chippers, shovels, axes, and other equipment whose operation presents eye injury hazards.
- Position requires strenuous daily and weekly physical work including lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects weighing up to 100 pounds with or without assistance.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Powered and non-powered equipment; utility vehicles with trailers, hydraulic buckets or water tanks; skidster loaders; tree chippers and chain saws; vehicle and hand-held radios; related maintenance equipment; and a variety of hand and power tools.