Finance Technician - Utility Billing
The City of Littleton's Finance Department is looking for a Finance Technician to work in a utility billing capacity.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of our growing and dynamic finance team! The focus of this position is providing customer service and support to our sewer and storm drainage utility customers. This includes assisting walk-in customers and answering customer questions over the phone and via email.
The ideal candidate enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, is organized and detail oriented and strives to provide excellent customer service.
This Finance Technician position serves as functional system specialist of the Utility Billing/Customer Information System and plays a direct role in the preparation and maintenance of utility billings for the City. In addition to utility billing, the Finance Technician serves as a back-up for our Cash Receipting and Accounts Payable functions.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see our Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $23.40 per hour
Full pay range: $18.72-$28.08
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position and will work a hybrid schedule with some days teleworking and some days working in person at the office.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides customer service in person, by phone and via email to utility customers.
- Processes annual utility billing and manages multi-mailer/HOA information.
- Posts all incoming utility cash receipts and transactions to customer accounts; researching payment inquiries, editing and updating of receipt files, imports and reviews all cash receipt reports for posting accuracy and research errors.
- Processes utility account adjustments including write-offs, billing errors and refunds.
- Responds to billing disputes, payment research and customer complaints to resolution.
- Processes title company requests for transfer of ownership.
- Calculates proration of annual billings.
- Setup accounts for new service locations to include sewer taps, sewer disconnects and storm drainage updates.
- Maintains customer account information.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Denver Water consumption file.
- Researches and processes returned mail.
- Maintains vendor files, including W-9 information, in financial and contract system.
- Assists supervisor with the issuance of 1099 forms.
- Acts as a back-up to the other Finance Technician positions for accounts payable and cash receipting, when necessary.
- Assists with schedules, data collection, reconciliations and other work as necessary in the preparation of the City's annual financial report.
- Observes and follows established City policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in a billing/accounts receivable/customer service position in a medium-to-high volume automated billing/accounts receivable operation or closely related position; or
- An equivalent combination of formal education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Experience working within Innoprise
- Experience working with Smartsheet and OneDrive
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of general accounting and bookkeeping; accounts payable and receivable.
- Strong computer skills and ability to navigate multiple accounting systems and Microsoft suite.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with assigned projects and tasks.
- Outstanding customer service skills and ability to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with customers.
- Ability to act with diplomacy and handle tense situations, demonstrating patience and understanding.
- Must maintain a professional demeanor and high level of confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team, sharing knowledge and communicating proactively to ensure team cohesiveness and seamless service to customers.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures and the skill and ability to operate the following office equipment as demonstrated by previous work experience, pre-employment testing and demonstrated on-the-job performance: 10-key calculator by touch; telephone; photocopier and fax.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
Requires ability to walk, sit, and stand for long periods. Requires ability to lift, push, pull and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.