Customer Billing & Rate Analyst
The City of Littleton Finance Department is searching for a Customer Billing & Rate Analyst who will be responsible for managing the utility billing system, including wastewater and storm drainage utilities, and for assembling and maintaining long-range financial plans.
The ideal candidate has a strong working knowledge of utility billing methods and able to analyze current or proposed rate structures and studies. Some new and exciting upcoming projects may include development of a new utility billing rate structure and implementation of a new billing system subsequent to or in conjunction with a full enterprise resource planning system implementation.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to its employees. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Hiring range: $70,000 - $75,000
This full-time position is exempt per FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position and has the option to work a hybrid schedule with some days teleworking and some days working in person at the office.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for utility payment processing, cash receipts, posting and preparing the annual utility billing with potential additional billing frequencies.
- Data gathering and analysis for rate studies.
- Conducts advanced financial analysis including strategic financial planning, modeling for financial opportunities, financial risk analysis, and financial impact of changes to existing policies.
- Facilitates utility account changes with other departments; primarily responsible for responding to requests for financial information or surveys from outside agencies.
- Responds to and assists other staff with internal and external customer concerns or complaints; triages initial complaints and elevates as needed.
- Prepares, reviews, and approves journal entries, billing adjustments and other transactions for accuracy and compliance.
- Researches, develops, and implements revisions of accounting and utility billing systems and forms.
- Provides support for annual budget document.
- Prepares and maintains the long-range financial plans for the wastewater and storm drainage utilities.
- Generates monthly revenue analyses; analyzes utility revenues and identify and correct any errors.
- Assists with capital and fixed assets records and accounts for utility related capital assets.
- Performs month-end and year-end financial closings for utilities, reviewing all transactions and making correcting journal entries to ensure that revenue and expense transactions are correct.
- Performs routine audits of financial records and transactions, reviews and matches records and statements to ensure accuracy within financial systems, identifies and researches discrepancies, and resolves or makes recommendations for corrective actions.
- Processes refunds, monitors expenditures and invoices, compiles supporting documentation, ensures compliance with utility fund processes, terms, and rates, and enters financial transactions into financial systems.
- Assists with conducting special projects.
- Ensures compliance and maintains fiscal accountability regarding rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- May lead or train others in area of expertise.
- Performs other similar duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or closely related field; and
- Three (3) years of full-time professional accounting experience, including financial compliance; federal, state, and/or other grant programs; or researching and compiling statistical information; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Experience managing a utility billing system
- Experience establishing new rate studies and structures
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Possess critical thinking, analytical thought process and business acumen.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and priorities with limited guidance.
- Ability to adapt to new and existing technology.
- Intermediate / Advanced skill level in and Microsoft Office software such as Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Ability to effectively summarize and communicate accounting issues, complex problems and analytics, both orally and in writing to peers and management.
- Ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels of staff including peers and management.