The City of Littleton has a new opportunity for an experienced Compensation Manager to lead and manage the compensation and position management process for all departments at the City of Littleton. Working primarily with managers and department heads, this position will collaborate on both current positions held within their departments as well as new positions needed to deliver on objectives. This position will ensure internal processes and guidelines are being met, while obtaining support from departments on departmental position matters and process improvements.
The Compensation Manager will be instrumental in the city’s implementation of the new Workday ERP system, with a focus on assisting the organization in developing position management practices including creation of a job architecture. This position will be pivotal in conducting an organizational compensation study and reviewing current compensation practices and procedures which includes a detailed review of underlying market data sources and their application to pay structures and ranges.
The ideal candidate will possess a diverse and comprehensive background, including experience working in the public sector. They will have strong knowledge of compensation practices including review and analysis, survey participation, job matching, project and change management, and HRIS maintenance. The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal skills, is organized, detail oriented, understands compensation best practices and can assist leaders in organizational decisions.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Hiring range: $110,000 - $125,000
This full-time position is exempt per FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position and has the option to work a hybrid schedule with some days teleworking and some days working in person at the office.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Compensation Analysis and Position Management
- Analyze new and existing positions to maintain market competitiveness, internal equity and compliance while providing timely delivery to requestors
- Conduct larger classification reviews of teams and departments
- Collaborate with managers and leaders in position description writing, editing, and formatting
- Support of unique compensation situations including counteroffers, temporary pay increases, bonus and retention programs, and ad hoc requests from leadership
- Perform position audits to learn about the level of work performed and the organizational structure of the City of Littleton and its departments/work units to ensure consistency and efficiency across the organization
- Determine the level and classification of positions reviewed including Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) exception status
- Ensuring compensation practices meet compliance with particular focus on the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act
- Ownership of position changes and associated documentation, establishing and running reports in HRIS for newly created and updated positions
- Delivery of trainings and resources related to compensation and classification
- Compensation Strategy
- Collaborate with all levels of the organization on compensation planning and overall philosophy including developing and maintaining working relationships with managers and leaders across the organization
- Develop, model, analyze, and align compensation programs and policies (including base pay, rewards/recognition programs, etc.) to meet business objectives
- Create, manage, and maintain salary structure including making recommendations for purchasing and participation in appropriate salary surveys
- Collaborate to develop job architecture and HRIS job structure including position numbering, job codes, job families, and leveling across the organization
- Collaborate with other cities and peer organizations to complete formally and informally requested surveys of position information
- Workday implementation project team member, providing expertise in position structure development and implications to other areas of the system
- Monitor effectiveness of existing compensation practices and recommends revisions and process improvements when appropriate
- Serve as main point of contact on compensation-related matters to ensure equitable and consistent salary practices
- Lead change management related to any compensation practice changes across organization
- Coach managers and leaders to make strong and consistent business decisions regarding organizational structure
- Annual Compensation Cycle
- Manage annual and ad hoc market survey analysis
- Execute annual internal equity review
- Manage annual increase processes, including recommendations to leadership
- Execution and process improvement for compensation and classification reviews, entry and reporting, and other annual compensation events including market surveys and merit increases
- Maintain and publish annual pay plan
- Provide market analysis for Collective Bargaining Agreement between City Manager’s Office and Littleton Police Officer’s Association
- Compensation Analysis and Position Management
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in Human Resources, Business, or a related field; and
- Six (6) years of professional experience conducting compensation analyses, establishing salary bands, and creating professional-level position descriptions.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Eight (8) years of professional experience in compensation and classification practices
- Previous experience in the public sector
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) certification
- In-depth knowledge and experience of the Colorado Equal Pay Act
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of human resources operations and interconnectivity of HR specialties.
- Knowledge of compensation laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of HRIS systems and functions.
- Knowledge of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and exemption testing.
- Knowledge of the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
- Financial and business acumen with the ability to successfully perform independent analysis and interpretation for budgetary impact.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and initiative when carrying out responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professional judgment in all matters.
- Ability to change priority quickly and assess impacts as needed.
- Skilled in collaborating to understand managers needs and accurately interpret them to meet System standards.
- Ability to creatively make recommendations to departments on position and departmental structure.
- Skilled in and ability to utilize Microsoft Office products, including Visio.
- Strong Microsoft Excel expertise, including V look-ups, graphing, Pivot Tables, and use of various formulas.
- Skilled in creation and maintenance of salary structures.
- Skilled in creation and review of position descriptions.
- Strong interpersonal, consulting, verbal, and writing skills with the ability to communicate important messages to all levels of the organization.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3925973