Circulation Services Page (Part-Time, 20 hours)
Overall Job Objective
- The Bemis Library has a part-time Circulation Services Page position at 20 hours per week.
The City of Littleton has an exciting opportunity to join the Bemis Library team as a Circulation Services Page. The Circulation Services Page provides extraordinary customer service to library patrons. This position is responsible for maintaining the accuracy and appearance of the library collections. This position will sometimes serve as a point of contact for patrons who are browsing the collections.
The ideal candidate will be tenacious and will enjoy the routine of alphabetizing, sorting, shelving, and merchandising the collection. This is a very task-driven role and successful candidates will appreciate the precision and thoroughness of the work. The exceptional candidate will have a customer-first philosophy with an analytical nature and eye for detail. This is an excellent opportunity to make a difference both behind the scenes and sometimes within them!
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees.
This position will work 20 hours per week and is eligible for part-time benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, retirement matching, and paid time off. For more information, please see our 2022 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay range $14 - $17 per hour
This position is non-exempt per FLSA and are eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule -This part-time position will be expected to work 20 hours per week. The schedule is 8 AM to 12 pm, Monday to Friday.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is established or the position is filled, but preference will be given to complete applications received by November 22, 2023. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Shelves library materials in Dewey Decimal order and by defined library procedures.
- Re-shelves library materials that have been laid aside by patrons periodically throughout the day.
- Visually scans shelved materials to maintain the integrity, continuity, and usefulness of the collection.
- Assesses condition of collections for neatness and appropriate space; shifts materials as needed.
- Assists patrons in locating and identifying library materials and services; directs them to appropriate areas within the library.
- Plans and arranges workload and establishes priorities to complete scheduled assigned work within parameters and deadlines assigned by supervisor.
- Ensures assigned areas for display of library materials are filled in an attractive manner.
- May assist in the processing of reserved items by locating and checking in library materials reserved by patrons.
- Assists in inventory of collections.
- Stays up to date on library procedures by attending staff trainings and reading library emails.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position may be considered.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Two (2) years of work experience consisting of similar duties.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles of filing library materials according to the Dewey Decimal library filing system and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Knowledge of general library principles and procedures and the ability to apply those principles and procedures to the essential duties of the position that include checking with reference librarians to locate materials.
- Ability to read and alphabetize library materials according to established procedures.
- Ability to effectively and courteously communicate and interact with customers and staff members who request information and services. Customers may occasionally be angry, argumentative, or disagreeable.
- Ability to establish and conduct verbal communications through speaking, talking, and hearing.
- The following mental abilities are needed to perform the essential duties of this position: alertness, precision, ingenuity, problem-solving, analytic ability, spatial perception, persuasiveness, auditory discrimination, speaking ability, memory, reasoning, imagination, initiative, patience, and visual discrimination.
- Ability to understand verbal information and instruction. Ability to exchange information with others and to develop and present recommendations.
- Ability to read and understand written information and compose information and instruction in written form.
- Ability to use mathematical reasoning to carry out the regulations and requirements.
- Ability to utilize analytical skills and apply results.
- Ability to use and apply technology.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Work for this position is performed indoors in a public building environment. This work involves exposure to dust accumulated on books and shelves.
- Work is performed standing and walking.
- Requires frequent and continuous lifting and carrying of books and other library materials weighing up to 20 pounds; frequent pushing and pulling of wheeled book carts weighing up to 100 pounds; occasional climbing of stairs; occasional balancing and kneeling; frequent stooping and crouching; occasional crawling; constant reaching, handling and fingering, ordinary talking, sufficient hearing to hear ordinary conversation; seeing with sufficient near and far acuity; depth perception, accommodation, and field of vision to see library materials and shelves.
MATERIALS DIRECTLY USED:
Wheeled book cart; bookends and easels; a variety of library materials including, but not limited to, books, magazines, audio books, books and DVDs. Computer, hand-held barcode scanner and receipt printer.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Littleton is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and intends to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and job applicants regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other non-job related characteristic, and to hire and retain the best-qualified individuals without regard to any of these factors. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on a protected class.
The City of Littleton will consider reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process and employment. Applicants and employees can request an accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 303-795-3857 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace
The City of Littleton is committed to the health and safety of all its employees. To ensure a safe and productive work environment the city prohibits the use, sale, dispensation, manufacture, distribution or possession of alcohol, drugs, controlled substances or drug paraphernalia on any city premises or worksites. No employee shall report to work or be at work with alcohol or with any detectable amount of prohibited drugs in the employee's system. A detectable amount refers to the standards generally used in workplace drug & alcohol testing. This prohibition specifically includes marijuana, and decriminalized psychedelics whether used for medical purposes or obtained legally under state law.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 4274577