Building Inspector II / Plans Examiner
The City of Littleton is seeking a Building Inspector II / Plans Examiner.
The Building Inspector II / Plans Examiner will have dual responsibilities for the performance of inspections for commercial, residential and industrial structures and the review of routine residential and commercial architectural and engineering plans and related documents to verify compliance with the International Codes and amendments adopted by the City of Littleton.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America's best small cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees, such as:
- Generous leave including
- 16 days (128 hours) paid vacation leave annually during the first 5 years of employment, incrementally increasing after 5 years
- 12 days (96 hours) paid sick leave
- 9.5 paid holidays, PLUS 40 hours of floating holiday annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive health and retirement benefits including:
- A zero deductible health plan with low cost premiums, including a dedicated employee clinic blocks away from Littleton Center that is 100% FREE for enrolled employees and dependents, including FREE prescriptions
- Zero cost (no premium) dental and vision for employees
- Retirement benefits with employer matching on 401a and 457 plans
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at or above market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position and the City of Littleton.
Starting pay is at or near $32.86/hour.
Salary Range: $25.18 - $40.54
Candidates are encouraged to submit materials as soon as possible. Although this posting will remain open until filled it may close once a qualified pool has been established.
- Generous leave including
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs field inspections to verify compliance with the International Codes and amendments as adopted by the City of Littleton
- Reviews plans and specifications during inspections to verify that work complies with approved documents
- Prepares and provides to customers a written notice of inspection results detailing approval or deficiency. Provides detailed information related to required corrections for inspections identified as deficient.
- Documents inspection activity and results via computer and other established systems
- Responds to customer requests for assistance or information through various methods, including but not limited to, email, telephone, assistance at the Permit Center counter and performance of courtesy field inspections
- Issues stop work order and other notices for violations of city ordinances and adopted codes
- Reviews permit applications, plans and specifications for to verify compliance with International Codes and amendments and City ordinances
- Coordinates plan reviews with Public Works, Engineering and Planning staff
- Prepares reports and correspondence related to plans examination results and requirements of the International Codes and amendments
- Assists in in solving issues related to building process and provides technical assistance to inspectors, permit technicians and customers
- Maintains a valid drivers' license and operates a City vehicle
- May assist at Permit Center answering phones, issuing permits and contractor licenses, and providing customer service through various activities
- May serve as an emergency worker, responding to requests for emergency assistance during and outside of established work periods
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma, or GED and,
- Three (3) years of municipal inspection or plans examination experience required, or
- An equivalent combination of qualification and experience to perform the essential duties of the position may be considered.
- Requires possession of the following current International Code Council certifications:
- B1 Residential Building Inspector and
- R3 Residential Plans Examiner
- The following certifications are required within twelve (12) months of hire:
- B2 Commercial Building Inspector
- Requires a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Associates degree in Architecture, Construction, Engineering or closely related field
- Additional certifications in the plumbing and mechanical disciplines
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to read, understand and interpret building codes and amendments and to apply those codes and amendments as adopted by the City to determine compliance of structures and project within the jurisdiction of the City
- Advanced knowledge of and ability to read architectural and engineering construction plans and specifications and determine compliance with codes and amendments as adopted by the City
- Ability to operate the following equipment and machinery as demonstrated by previous work experience, pre-employment testing, or demonstrated on-the-job performance: Assigned City vehicle with two -way radio, personal computer, laptop computer, telephone, copy equipment, facsimile machine, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of principles of government regulation and the ability to read, interpret, apply, and communicate the requirements of select provisions of the City code, adopted codes and amendments, and applicable regulations to perform the essential duties of the position
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Computer terminal and office software, telephone, photocopy machine, fax, office files, may be assigned City vehicle, two-way radio, and extension ladder.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- The majority of the assigned work is performed indoors in a standard office environment minimal work is performed outdoors and includes performing building inspections as required.
- Physical activities involve occasionally lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance.