Background Investigator (Temporary)
The Littleton Police Department is seeking experienced Background Investigators. These temporary positions work on an as needed basis and are responsible for conducting pre-employment personal background investigations of potential Police Department employees, to obtain information about an individual's character, personal, and professional history to determine the suitability of candidates for employment.
This is a great opportunity for someone with background or general investigation experience to assist the Littleton Police Department in selecting the very best candidates for our team. The Littleton Police Department is a CALEA accredited law enforcement agency and we are proud of our highly trained officers and staff for consistently achieving full accreditation.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a vibrant and historic downtown, and a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here.
Starting pay at or near $27 - $37 per hour
This temporary part-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This temporary part-time position will work on an as needed basis.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Determines the veracity of information offered by the candidate in a personal history statement.
- Contacts, in person, personal and professional references listed by candidates to make inquiries as to their suitability for employment. In the event it is not practical to make personal contact with the reference, the investigator may contact by mail or telephone.
- Establishes references and contacts not listed by the candidate to secure information which will project an accurate image of the candidate’s work ethic, criminal activity, financial responsibility, education, and other aspects of the candidate’s life.
- May travel to locations previously and currently listed as residence and places of employment to interview those familiar with candidate history.
- Solicits information regarding candidates in the form of questionnaires to be included in final report.
- Maintains thorough documentation and logs all background investigation activities including contact with references, inquiries, and responses.
- Collects personal documents and certified copies of personal documents for verification of authenticity.
- Takes candidate fingerprints for submittal to CBI and FBI for criminal history checks.
- Completes submittal quality report on findings of background investigation and submits summary report of areas of interest and/or areas of concern.
- Utilizes other than traditional methods for gathering information including internet, personal information data companies, personal records, court records, utility/services records, etc.
- Performs other similar duties and projects as needed.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- Three (3) years of experience in general investigator or background investigation and must be approved by the Chief of Police; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must complete 8-hour training for background investigation.
- Must be able to pass an extensive pre-employment criminal background check, polygraph examination, psychological examination, and drug screen.
- Recent sworn law enforcement experience within the last Five (5) years
ANTICIPATED HIRING PROCESS:
- Application Review - reviewed by the Division Chief
- Interviews - panel interviews
- Background Investigation - Qualified candidates assigned to an investigator
- Polygraph Evaluation - scheduled during background investigation process
- Offer - made at conclusion
The expected duration of the hiring process is 6 to 12 weeks. Applicants who enter the process but are not selected for employment are not eligible to re-apply for the same position with the City of Littleton for one year.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to conduct effective interviews with candidates and references.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, and ability to maintain thorough documentation and create comprehensive background investigation reports.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper background investigative techniques, resources and protocol.
- Demonstrated knowledge of values and personal qualities required for employment to make judgments regarding suitability of candidate for employment.
- Technical skills and ability to use Microsoft Office 365 to write and create background investigation reports.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- The majority of this work is performed indoors in a standard indoor working environment with occasional activities performed outdoors, with exposure to extreme heat or cold with and without temperature changes.
- Frequently travels by car to location where personal interviews are conducted (may include out of state travel).
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without assistance.