Streets Maintenance Worker
The City of Littleton's Public Works Department has an opening for a Streets Maintenance Worker. The Streets Maintenance Worker assists concrete and asphalt repair and construction work crews and traffic maintenance crews in street and traffic maintenance and repair as assigned. Also assists street and traffic division maintenance crews by performing physical laboring tasks. Regularly operates single and tandem axle dump trucks or other assigned vehicles. Plows snow and ice; spreads salt and sand on roadways as conditions require.
The City of Littleton has a comprehensive benefits package including paid government holidays, floating holidays, vacation and sick time, retirement matching and a dedicated employee health clinic to name a few!
- Essential Duties & Reponsibilities
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or peripheral duties that may be required. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
- Assists asphalt and concrete construction crews, road maintenance crews, and traffic maintenance crews as assigned. Assistance is provided through the performance of manual laboring tasks including, but not limited to, hand-shoveling asphalt and concrete; hand-raking asphalt; hand-smoothing fresh concrete; operating a pneumatic jackhammer to break concrete and asphalt, a gasoline-powered tamper, and electric saws and drills to build forms. Assists with the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and marking streets and crosswalks. Uses sledgehammers, pick axes, and shovels to break and haul concrete, asphalt, dirt, and rocks; sets and removes concrete forms; and cleans and clears the construction worksite. Uses hand tools to repair and replace signs and signposts.
- Drives and operates a single or tandem axle dump truck with or without trailers as assigned to haul asphalt, dirt, snow, concrete, or other construction-related materials or debris to/from work sites.
- Drives and operates single and tandem axle dump trucks to plow and clear snow and ice from assigned snow routes. Spreads a salt-sand mixture over hazardous portions of roadways as required.
- Assists with weed control along street rights-of-way as required by applying weed sprays from truck-mounted dispensers.
- Operates patch truck, loader, mag chloride tank, distributor, and crack sealer.
- Performs operator's maintenance daily as required for all assigned pieces of equipment.
- Observes and follows established City and department policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
- Plans and arranges work schedule and establishes priorities to complete scheduled assigned work within parameters assigned by the supervisor.
- Delivers work products and services to customers within assigned full-time work schedule. Work schedule includes a requirement to perform overtime work as required and respond on-call for snow-clearing and street maintenance work.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides snow/ice control.
- Performs other assignments and projects as required.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & SUPERVISORY DUTIES
This Position Reports To: General Reporting to Street Superintendent; to Leadworker on-site
This Position Has Supervisory Responsibility For: None
- Education, Formal Training & Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent; and
- Requires a valid Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within 6 months of hire and the skill and demonstrated ability to safely and effectively operate assigned dump trucks or other assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Drivers in this position are subject to drug/alcohol testing as provided by US Department of Transportation (Federal highway administration) regulations.
- Requires an equivalent combination of three months' utility or traffic maintenance work experience, training or education that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires basic knowledge of the principles and techniques of street construction and maintenance; concrete construction, and traffic signs and signals; the use of assigned equipment, hand and power tools, and the skill and ability to apply those principles and techniques to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of the position.
- Requires the skill and ability to perform strenuous physical labor to assist street construction and maintenance crews including, but not limited to, the skill and ability to hand shovel hot and cold asphalt, dirt, pieces of concrete and construction-related debris; shoveling snow and ice; using a hand rake to rake and smooth asphalt and concrete; install, remove, and move concrete forms; lifting, pushing, and pulling construction equipment and construction materials; operating a pneumatic jackhammer; a gasoline-powered dirt tamper; and performing other physical laboring tasks as assigned.
- Ability to safely operate vehicles and equipment including the ability to enter and exit the vehicle during the workday; ability to read, understand and use road and street maps, read road and street signs, follow oral and written directions; read and follow operator's instructions and manuals for the care and use of assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to understand verbal information and instruction. Ability to exchange information with others and to develop and present recommendations.
- Reads and understands written information. Ability to compose information and instruction in written form.
- Ability to translate verbal communication into effective written material, e.g., reports and other documents.
- Ability to use mathematical reasoning is necessary to carry out the regulations and requirements.
- Ability to utilize analytical skills and apply results.
- Ability to use and apply technology.
- The following mental abilities are needed to perform the essential duties/activities of this position: alertness, precision, ingenuity, problem-solving, analytical ability, spatial perception, auditory discrimination, tactile discrimination, speaking ability, memory, creativity, concentration, judgment, aesthetic sense, reasoning, imagination, initiative, patience, visual discrimination; and the ability to write entries on vehicle operation and maintenance logs.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
- Single and tandem axle dump trucks, pick-up trucks; two-way radio and conventional telephone; pneumatic jackhammer, and gasoline-powered dirt tamper; electric saws and drills; sledge hammer, pick axe, shovel, rake and hand tools; air wrenches, power carwash equipment; weed spray dispensers, plow and sand truck, loader, patch truck, and jackhammer.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Long periods of sitting, standing or walking may be required. Essential duties are performed outdoors and include exposure to adverse weather conditions; frequent exposure to dusts and mechanical hazards; occasional exposure to fumes, odors, mists, and gases; occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals; vibrations from equipment operation; and frequent exposure to vehicle and equipment noise. Minimal activities are performed indoors in a shop environment. Use of protective hearing devices and eyesight protection is required for equipment operation and laboring activities to reduce noise exposure to permissible OSHA noise exposure levels and prevent eye injury.
- Requires the skill and ability to perform strenuous physical labor to assist street construction and maintenance crews including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects weighing up to 75 pounds; and performing other physical laboring tasks as assigned.
- The following physical abilities are needed to perform the essential duties of this position: constant seeing with near and far acuity, depth perception, accommodation and field of vision; ability to frequently establish and maintain verbal communication over a vehicle radio, a telephone, and in-person communications; and ability to hear vehicle and equipment horns, signals, and engine operation to determine proper operation.