Senior Planner - Long Range Planning
The City of Littleton has the opportunity to hire an experienced long- range planner in the Community Development Department. In addition to a diverse set of projects they will manage this position fills a key role on a team responsible for developing and executing the comprehensive plan for the city.
The Senior Planner will be working on exciting projects like Envision Littleton, the city's community driven process to create a vision for Littleton's future and our new comprehensive plan!
The City of Littleton offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, sick and floating holidays, retirement matching and a dedicated employee health clinic...to name a few.
- Essential Duties & Reponsibilities
- Manages long range planning projects and coordinates other long-range planning projects for the city;
- Works with the Community Development Director to oversee third party consultant contracts and community engagement for long range projects.
- Monitors and contributes to writing planning and zoning regulations, subdivision regulations, ordinances, and/or other City codes;
- Researches and writes technical reports on development review, planning, and/or special projects as assigned, coordinating comments and reviews; ensures appropriate review of reports and prepares staff reports pertaining to the zoning or development review or historic preservation; and presents reports to the Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Board, and/or City Council, as required.
- Coordinates the development review process for assigned projects and throughout the city.
- Participates in meetings of outside agencies and the public, as necessary for the complete review of cases.
- This position is responsible for research and report preparation and the preparation and presentation of ordinances and resolutions.
- Works with other City staff, as required, when researching and preparing technical reports and revisions of City codes and regulations. Develops community workshops that advocate and educate the community about planning; presents technical information to a variety of community groups; and develops and implements outreach materials, including website information, to inform citizens about long- range projects, planning and zoning programs.
- Effectively develops and delivers presentations to the Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Board, City Council and/or at community meetings.
- Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Board, City Council and/or community meetings.
SECONDARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs other assignments and projects, which may be in the area of long range planning or historic preservation as required.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS & SUPERVISORY DUTIES:
- This Position Reports To: Community Development Director
- This Position Has Supervisory Responsibility For: None.
- Education, Formal Training & Experience
- Requires a Master's Degree in Planning or a related field and four years of progressively responsible local government or private sector experience in long-range or current urban planning.
- Requires American Institute of Certified Planners certification.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires knowledge of comprehensive planning theory and principles, the planning process, including development review, urban design, and historic preservation. Requires expert knowledge of planning law and zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Requires knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of local government operations, a solid knowledge of the functions of the City's Community Development Department, and an ability to apply that knowledge.
- Requires the ability to solve problems by gathering data and facts, analyzing information, and making recommendations for resolution.
- Requires the ability to obtain information and to utilize that information to prepare written documents that are clear, concise, courteous, and within accepted grammatical standards.