Seasonal Summer Grounds Maintenance Worker
Enjoy working outside? Are you looking for a stable summer job? The City of Littleton is seeking
energetic individuals interested in gaining great municipal experience as a Grounds Maintenance Worker. This is a great way to get to know our Littleton team and make connections for future opportunities.
Positions needed between July 13, 2020 and October 15, 2020. Positions will work Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week. Excellent opportunity for college students.
Typical starting pay at $15.50 per hour.
Additional pay for returning seasonal workers or candidates with irrigation experience.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains planted and landscaped outdoor areas of City-owned properties in a healthy and attractive condition including mowing, weeding, planting, removing litter, aerating, fertilizing and other related duties.
- Performs other assignments and projects as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Requires a valid Colorado driver's license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, drug screen and physical.
- Landscape maintenance or irrigation experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Basic knowledge of the operation and maintenance to safely operate the following power equipment and vehicles: riding lawn mowers, walk behind mowers, pickup truck with utility trailers and string trimmers.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work which involves lifting and handling objects frequently which weigh up to 80 pounds from ground to waist height; ability to walk for 3-8 hours per day; ability to frequently handle miscellaneous maintenance equipment and grass clippings weighing up to 50 pounds and occasionally pushing riding mowers.
- Requires ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, handle, feel, talk, hear voices, equipment engines, approaching traffic, near and/far visual acuity, depth perception, and color vision to perform essential functions of the position.
- Basic knowledge of traffic safety precautions.
- Basic knowledge to safely operate the following equipment and vehicles: pickup truck with mounted water tank, dump truck with hydraulic bed; hand shovels, backpack weed sprayer, rototiller, rakes, pick axes. Ability to operate tree chipper and gasoline engine powered chain saw following instruction and on-the-job training.
- Basic knowledge of or the ability to learn the principles of landscape, landscape construction and maintenance; tree and shrub planting, watering, care, and pruning.
- Basic knowledge of flower planting and care, weed identification, and control, soil preparation, and fertilization.
- Ability to perform work safely in close proximity to vehicle traffic. Basic knowledge of traffic safety precautions.
- Ability to understand verbal information and instruction.