Legal Assistant - Littleton Immigrant Resource Center - Bilingual
The City of Littleton is seeking a Legal Assistant for the Littleton Immigrant Resources Center (LIRC) at Bemis Library. The Legal Assistant will assist and represent customers on immigration legal matters before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), prepare legal documents and applications, process correspondence, respond to requests for evidence and notices of continuance, and provide immigration legal support at the direction of the LIRC Supervisor. This position will also manage and maintain the LIRC file management system, including but not limited to organizing new cases, pending cases, and closed cases, as well as perform a variety of general administrative functions.
The ideal candidate will be organized, thorough, and timely, with a background in immigration law. Exceptional candidates will have a passion for helping people and be willing to jump in and assist where needed, from administrative tasks to assisting customers with USCIS related subjects.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. For more information, please see our 2022 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $21.07 per hour
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This full-time position will work normal business hours, Monday-Friday. This position will work onsite at the Littleton Immigrant Resource Center in Bemis Library.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the daily activities of the Immigrant Resources Center including providing support to the Immigrant Resources Center Supervisor.
- Assists and represents customers on immigration legal matters before USCIS, coordinating all aspects of the cases.
- Stays abreast of developments in immigration law.
- Manages and updates an extensive database of customer information.
- Collects and maintains relevant statistics and prepares reports as required.
- Assists with grant research, writing and final reports.
- Creates, maintains, updates, and keeps organized new case files, in paper and online, in a timely fashion to include immigration applications, customer information and documentation.
- Prepares and processes online and paper-based applications, including mailing them.
- Responsible for incoming and outgoing communications with customers seeking legal services, providing information to customers, taking messages when required, scheduling appointments, greeting visitors, and determining their needs.
- Promptly returns calls from customers, accurately tracks calls, appointments and deadlines, and ensures forms and steps in immigration processes are completed accurately.
- Handles payments for immigration services.
- Translates or facilitates translation of Immigrant Resources Center materials from English to Spanish; effectively utilizes outside translation services if necessary.
- Works with volunteers on assigned projects.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma; and
- One (1) year of administrative support experience in a demanding environment; or
- An equivalent combination of formal education, training, and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must be bilingual with fluency in English and Spanish.
- Requires partial accreditation as a Department of Justice (D.O.J.) accredited representative within six months of the date of hire.
- Requires a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check and motor vehicle records check.
- Experience working in an immigration legal office, or similar environment
- Associates Degree
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Basic knowledge of immigration law and confidential information as it pertains to the daily job functions.
- Basic knowledge of immigration applications, procedures, and basic legal terminology.
- Basic knowledge of USCIS filing procedures, legal research systems, court and police records, criminal history databases, and Microsoft Office.
- Interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to perceive and appropriately respond to customer’s needs; the ability to effectively communicate and interact with individuals of all backgrounds and deescalate when appropriate.
- Organization, file management, and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- The essential duties for the position are performed indoors in a standard indoor office environment.
- Requires a valid driver license and availability to attend immigration appointments at the USCIS Denver Office located in Centennial on an occasional basis to represent customers
- Physical activities include the ability to lift, carry, push, or pull objects weighing up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.