The Irrigation Technician installs and maintains turf irrigation systems and performs snow removal and general grounds maintenance for the City of Littleton.
The ideal candidate will have experience maintaining turf irrigation systems and performing winterization and spring system activations. Problem solving skills, innovation, and the drive to have the best turf in the area will help the ideal candidate succeed in this role. This is the first level in a career progression - opportunities to move up are available.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities, and one of Colorado’s top five places to Raise a Family. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to its employees. For more information, please see the 2023 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and creating career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $24.25 per hour
This full-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This full-time position will work 6:00 am to 2:30pm, Monday through Friday. Some weekend work will be required. Overtime opportunities are available throughout the year for special events and projects.
Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains turf irrigation systems by installing, adjusting, repairing or replacing pipe, controllers, valve boxes, valves and sprinkler heads; and performing winterization and spring system activations.
- Programs and maintains controller boxes for irrigation systems. Program numerous types of irrigation controllers, making adjustments depending on environmental conditions and seasonal changes.
- Performs snow and ice removal from walkways, driveways and parking lots as directed using hand and powered snow removal equipment
- Installs and repairs holiday lighting displays.
- Performs general maintenance of City grounds including trash clean up and debris removal.
- Maintains assigned equipment, including vehicles and equipment by performing operator maintenance checks.
- Supervises and instructs seasonal employees as directed.
- Performs 811 locates by physically locating utilities as needed.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs other assignments and projects as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent; and
- One (1) year of irrigation or related experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, drug screen and physical.
- Knowledge or experience working with various pump systems
- Central Control experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires knowledge of turf irrigation, equipment operation, snow removal techniques (sidewalks/parking lots), landscaping, time management, organization, and project planning, and equipment maintenance.
- Ability to perform roadway traffic control with cones and signs.
- Requires advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities that include the software and hardware of controller clocks and programming.
- Requires advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities that include backflow prevention assembly and installation
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Ability to perform work outdoors. Outdoor work and travel includes exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Essential duties include ability to stand and walk for long periods of time; lift, carry, push or pull objects weighing up to 100 pounds with or without assistance.
- Frequent exposure to fumes, odors, chemicals, dust, and gases.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Irrigation equipment, trencher, snowplow, bucket truck, compressor, use of all hand tools, sander truck, Pull-behind trencher, riding trencher, acetylene torch, irrigation materials, generator, hand/power tools, and assigned City vehicle with two-way radio.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3903711