Grounds Maintenance Worker
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America's best small cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks including a comprehensive benefit package with $0 deductible medical, a dedicated employee clinic, excellent retirement matches, generous paid time off, flexible schedule options, and wellness programs, just to name a few. To learn more, visit: City of Littleton Careers.
Grounds Maintenance Workers perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the maintenance, repair, and operation of the City's landscaped public grounds, hardscape areas, parking lots, sidewalks, pedestrian paths and medians.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at or above market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position and the City of Littleton.
Grounds Maintenance Worker starting pay at or near $17.66 per hour.
This posting is open until filled and interviews may be scheduled when a qualified pool has been established.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintains turf grass using riding lawn mowers, push (walk-behind) lawn mowers and string trimmers.
- Installs, maintains, prunes and removes trees, shrubs and perennial flowers.
- Picks up trash and removes weeds from the City's landscaped public grounds.
- Maintains assigned equipment, including vehicles and equipment by performing operator maintenance checks.
- Performs preparation and maintenance activities include, tilling, soil aeration and fertilizing; pest control; watering, removal, and cold weather maintenance.
- Performs snow and ice removal from walkways, driveways, and parking lots as directed using hand and powered snow removal equipment.
- Installs and repairs holiday lighting displays.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school graduate or its equivalent and,
- A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in grounds maintenance; arboriculture; landscape horticulture; hardscape construction and maintenance, or a closely related field, or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, or experience that provides the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- A valid Colorado Driver's License appropriate for the type of vehicle(s) to be operated and a qualifying driver's history as required by the City's Personnel Policies and Procedures is required.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of turf and landscape maintenance and the skill and ability to safely maintain and operate the following tools, power equipment, and vehicles: riding lawn mowers; push and walk-behind mowers; turf aerators; pick-up truck with utility trailers; power edgers, hedge trimmers and weed whips; pick-up truck with mounted water tank and pony motor, backpack weed sprayer, rototiller; aerial lift truck; dump truck with hydraulic bed; skid steer loaders; hand shovels, rakes, pick axes; tree chipper and gasoline engine powered chain saw following instruction and on-the-job training.
- Knowledge of landscape horticulture including identification, maintenance, pest control and pruning of trees, shrubs, perennial and annual flowers.
- Ability to perform roadway traffic control with cones and signs.
- Mechanical knowledge and aptitude; the ability to read, understand, and follow technical manuals relating to the operation, repair, and maintenance of assigned equipment; the skill and ability to perform mechanical problem diagnosis, trouble-shooting, and light engine repair for assigned equipment in order to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of hardscape construction and maintenance and the skill and ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.