The City of Littleton's Finance Department is looking for a Finance Technician to work in a utility billing capacity. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of our growing and dynamic finance team!
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America's best small cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees, such as:
- Generous leave including
- 16 days (128 hours) paid vacation leave annually during the first 5 years of employment, incrementally increasing after 5 years
- 12 days (96 hours) paid sick leave
- 9.5 paid holidays, PLUS 40 hours of floating holiday annually
- Flexible work schedules
- Comprehensive health and retirement benefits including:
- A zero deductible health plan with low cost premiums, including a dedicated employee clinic blocks away from Littleton Center that is 100% FREE for enrolled employees and dependents, including FREE prescriptions
- Zero cost (no premium) dental and vision for employees
- Retirement benefits with employer matching on 401a and 457 plans
The focus of the Finance Technician position is to provide customer service and support to our sewer and storm drainage utility customers - this includes assisting walk in customers and answering customer questions over the phone.
The ideal candidate enjoys working on a team in a fast-paced environment, is organized, detail oriented inquisitive, and strives to provide excellent customer service.
This Finance Technician position serves as functional system specialist of the Utility Billing/Customer Information System and plays a direct role in the preparation and maintenance of utility billings for the City. In addition to utility billing, the Finance Technician serves as a back-up for our Cash Receipting and Accounts Payable functions.
The Finance Department supports on-going education and training in furtherance of career goals and encourages and supports participation in related professional organizations.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at or above market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position and the City of Littleton.
Starting pay is at or near $23.14 per hour.
- Generous leave including
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Customer service to utility customers on the phone and in person.
- Processes annual utility billing and manages multimailer/Homeowners Association (HOA) information.
- Imports utility payment files and researches errors.
- Processes utility account adjustments including write-offs, billing errors and refunds.
- Processes title company requests for transfer of ownership.
- Updates new service locations to include sewer taps, sewer disconnects and storm drainage updates.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Denver Water consumption file.
- Researches and processes returned mail.
- Maintains accounts payable vendor files.
- Assists supervisor with the issuance of 1099 forms.
- Acts as a back-up to the other Finance Technician positions for accounts payable and cash receipting, when necessary.
- Assists with schedules, data collection, reconciliations and other work as necessary in the preparation of the City's annual financial report.
- Performs other similar assignments and projects as required.
- Observes and follows established City policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent; and
- A minimum of one (1) year work experience as an accounts payable clerk, accounting clerk, utility billing technician or closely related position; or
- An equivalent combination of education, formal training, or work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Two or more years of experience as an accounts payable clerk, accounting clerk, utility billing technician or closely related position.
- Experience working in a government environment.
- Experience utilizing Innoprise Utility Billing, or similar billing applications.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of general accounting and bookkeeping; accounts payable and receivable;
- Strong computer skills and ability to navigate multiple accounting systems and Microsoft suite.
- Analytical skills and ability to research information and comprehend complicated data and processes.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures and the skill and ability to operate the following office equipment as demonstrated by previous work experience, preemployment testing and demonstrated on-the-job performance: 10-key calculator by touch; telephone; photocopier and fax.
- Ability to display high attention to detail with assigned projects and tasks.
Working Environment & Physical Abilities:
- Requires ability to walk, sit, and stand for long periods. Requires ability to lift, push, pull and carry objects weighing up to 25 pounds with or without assistance.