Equipment Operator (Streets and Snow)
The City of Littleton Public Works Department is seeking an Equipment Operator to join our talented Streets team.
If you’re looking for a stable, year-round position offering generous benefits and opportunities for advancement, then consider the City of Littleton for your next career move. Our Equipment Operators are responsible for maintaining, repairing and constructing streets and other projects for the city. Equipment Operators regularly operate single and tandem axle dump trucks or other assigned vehicles. These positions are essential for plowing snow and spreading salt and sand on roadways as conditions require. If you enjoy the early morning hours and camaraderie of working on a snowplow crew, we’d love to have you join our team!
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. Here are some highlights:
- 16 days (128 hours) paid vacation leave annually during the first 5 years of employment, incrementally increasing after 5 years
- 12 days (96 hours) paid sick leave
- 9.5 paid holidays
- PLUS an additional 5 days (40 hours) paid floating holiday leave annually
- Comprehensive health plan with low cost premiums
- Dedicated employee clinic blocks away from Littleton Center that is 100% FREE for enrolled employees and dependents, including FREE prescriptions
- Wellness Incentive Program (employee and spouse can earn up to $300 each annually)
- Zero cost (no premium) dental and vision for employees
- 401a plan with employer contributing 7%
- 457 plan (optional)
- Life Insurance
- Short term and long-term disability
- Boot and Uniform Allowance
- Prescriptive Safety Eye Glass Allowance
- Monthly safety awards
- Employee Recognition Awards
- Training and Development
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position and the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at $20.00 per hour
Work Schedule: 7:30am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Must be available nights and weekends as needed for snow removal. Overtime assignments are available throughout the year for special projects.
This posting will remain open until finalists are identified or the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists asphalt and concrete construction crews, road maintenance crews, and traffic maintenance crews by performing semi-skilled tasks that maintain, repair or construct streets and other public works projects
- Assists with the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and marking streets and crosswalks. Uses hand tools to repair and replace signs and signposts.
- Drives and operates single and tandem axle dump trucks with or without trailers as assigned to haul asphalt, dirt, snow, concrete, or other construction-related materials or debris to/from work sites.
- Drives and operates single and tandem axle dump trucks to plow and clear snow and ice from assigned snow routes. Spreads a salt-sand mixture over hazardous portions of roadways as required.
- Operates patch truck, loader, mag chloride tank, distributor, and crack sealer.
- Assists with weed control along street rights-of-way as required by applying weed sprays.
- Serves as a certified flagger, setting up construction and road work zones, to ensure safety for pedestrians, vehicles, and staff.
- Performs operator's maintenance and inspections daily as required for all assigned pieces of equipment.
- Observes and follows established city and department policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs similar duties and projects as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent, or
- An equivalent combination of three months of utility or traffic/road maintenance work experience; or
- An equivalent combination of formal education, training and work experience that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Class B CDL license or ability to obtain within 6 months (Paid for by the city).
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check, motor vehicle records check, DOT drug screen and DOT physical.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires basic knowledge of the principles and techniques of street construction and maintenance; concrete construction, and traffic signs and signals; the use of assigned equipment, hand and power tools, and the skill and ability to apply those principles and techniques to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of the position.
- Requires the skill and ability to perform strenuous physical labor to assist street construction and maintenance crews including, but not limited to, the skill and ability to hand shovel hot and cold asphalt, dirt, pieces of concrete and construction-related debris; shoveling/plowing snow and ice; using a hand rake to rake and smooth asphalt and concrete; install, remove, and move concrete forms; lifting, pushing, and pulling construction equipment and construction materials; operating a pneumatic jackhammer; a gasoline-powered dirt tamper; and performing other semi-skilled tasks as assigned.
- Ability to safely operate vehicles and equipment including the ability to enter and exit the vehicle during the workday; ability to read, understand and use road and street maps, read road and street signs, follow oral and written directions; read and follow operator's instructions and manuals for the care and use of assigned vehicles and equipment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Essential duties are performed outdoors and include exposure to adverse weather conditions; frequent exposure to dusts and mechanical hazards; occasional exposure to fumes, odors, mists, and gases; occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals; vibrations from equipment operation; and frequent exposure to vehicle and equipment noise. Minimal activities are performed indoors in a shop environment. Use of protective hearing devices and eyesight protection is required for equipment operation and activities to reduce noise exposure to permissible OSHA noise exposure levels and prevent eye injury.
- Requires the skill and ability to perform strenuous physical labor to assist street construction and maintenance crews including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling objects weighing up to 75 pounds with or without assistance.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Single and tandem axle dump trucks, pick-up trucks; two-way radio and conventional telephone; pneumatic jackhammer, and gasoline-powered dirt tamper; electric saws and drills; sledge hammer, pick axe, shovel, rake and hand tools; air wrenches, power car wash equipment; weed spray dispensers, plow and sand truck, loader, patch truck, and jackhammer.