Equipment Operator I
The City of Littleton is hiring a Level I Equipment Operator in the Streets Division of the Public Works Department.
Equipment Operators are responsible for performing semi-skilled tasks that maintain,
repair and construct the streets and other projects for the city. Regularly operate single
and tandem axle dump trucks or other assigned vehicles and plow snow and ice and
spread salt and sand on roadways as conditions require.
Job Benefits include:
- Stable year-round position
- Great medical benefits- $0.00 deductible plan and a dedicated employee clinic
- Life insurance
- Generous time off including vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Career advancement opportunities that include additional compensation
Typical starting pay: $17.25
This posting will remain open until the positions have been filled.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists asphalt and concrete construction crews, road maintenance crews, and traffic maintenance crews by performing semi-skilled tasks that maintain, repair or construct streets and other public works projects
- Assists with the installation and maintenance of traffic signs and marking streets and crosswalks. Uses hand tools to repair and replace signs and signposts.
- Drives and operates a single or tandem axle dump truck with or without trailers as assigned to haul asphalt, dirt, snow, concrete, or other construction-related materials or debris to/from work sites.
- Drives and operates single and tandem axle dump trucks to plow and clear snow and ice from assigned snow routes. Spreads a salt-sand mixture over hazardous portions of roadways as required.
- Operates patch truck, loader, mag chloride tank, distributor, and crack sealer.
- Assists with weed control along street rights-of-way as required by applying weed sprays.
- Performs operator's maintenance daily as required for all assigned pieces of equipment.
- Observes and follows established City and department policies and procedures in the daily conduct of the job.
- May serve as an Emergency Worker.
- Performs similar duties and projects as assigned.
- Must be available nights and weekends
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent, or
- An equivalent combination of three months' utility or traffic maintenance work experience, training or education that produces the knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Class B CDL license or ability to obtain within 6 months (Paid for by the City).
- Requires basic knowledge of the principles and techniques of street construction and maintenance; concrete construction, and traffic signs and signals; the use of assigned equipment, hand and power tools, and the skill and ability to apply those principles and techniques to perform the essential duties/responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Requires the skill and ability to perform strenuous physical labor to assist street construction and maintenance crews including, but not limited to, the skill and ability to hand shovel hot and cold asphalt, dirt, pieces of concrete and construction-related debris; shoveling snow and ice; using a hand rake to rake and smooth asphalt and concrete; install, remove, and move concrete forms; lifting, pushing, and pulling construction equipment and construction materials; operating a pneumatic jackhammer; a gasoline-powered dirt tamper; and performing other semi-skilled tasks as assigned.
- Ability to safely operate vehicles and equipment including the ability to enter and exit the vehicle during the workday; ability to read, understand and use road and street maps, read road and street signs, follow oral and written directions; read and follow operator's instructions and manuals for the care and use of assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Perform other similar duties as assigned.