Code Compliance Administrative Assistant
The City of Littleton has a great opportunity for a part-time Code Compliance Administrative Assistant.
The Code Compliance Administrative Assistant provides administrative and internal technical support to the Code Compliance Team. This position is the primary point of contact for customer service, including intake of new or follow-up information regarding city code violations.
The ideal candidate will possess experience in the areas of customer service, particularly the handling of complaints and interaction with difficult customers; administrative services, including data entry and composition of letters and other various forms of communication; Document preparation, including the preparation of reports and quasi-legal documents; exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; and the ability to maintain a professional approach and to collaborate with customers and co-workers to insure positive outcomes.
The City of Littleton is a vibrant community south of Denver and is consistently voted as one of America’s Best Small Cities. Home to a charming and historic downtown, a variety of shopping venues, restaurants, parks and trails, there is a lot to offer to the wonderful people who live and work here. The City of Littleton offers outstanding benefits and perks to our employees. This part-time position is eligible for benefits, based on 20 hours per week, including medical, dental, vision, vacation leave, sick leave, and more. For more information, please see our 2022 Benefit Guide.
The City of Littleton believes in attracting and retaining the best talent and our strategies include hiring in at market pay and career development opportunities. In addition to your application, please submit a cover letter that describes why you are the best candidate for this position with the City of Littleton.
Starting pay at or near $22.94 per hour
This part-time position is non-exempt per FLSA and is eligible for overtime compensation.
Work Schedule: This part time position will work 20 hours per week, Monday - Friday. Schedule will be determined based on mutual agreement and operational needs.
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is established, but preference will be given to complete applications received by 01/23/22. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the Code Compliance Team through administrative, technical and limited code compliance level support
- Receive and appropriately handle complaints of code violations by telephone, in-person, or in writing
- Proactively follow up with citizens regarding the status of their complaint or question
- Refer complaints or inquires that require other department assignment or outside agencies
- Conduct follow-up activities by phone, in-person or email related to enforcement of the city codes
- Answer phone calls, respond to emails, take messages for staff
- Respond to requests for information and assistance
- Document incoming calls and/or complaints from citizens
- Process appropriate paperwork for Code Compliance and Permit Center team
- Prepare reports of violations and inspections
- Enter information into appropriate software programs
- Use a computer to enter information regarding code enforcement complaints and general inquires and prepare letters, reports, and check requests
- Uses computer and maps to research properties, owners, and boundaries
- Prepare written correspondence to explain the code requirements and the nature and type of violation as well as the corrective action(s) needed
- Assist with the coordination with other city departments and outside agencies to aid in the enforcement of and compliance with the city code
- Assist with the preparation of summonses to municipal court for violations and may provide court testimony
- Plans and arranges work schedule and establishes priorities to complete scheduled, assigned work within parameters assigned by the supervisor
- May be assigned to coordinate the activities of contractors to cut weeds and remove rubbish and other abatement
- May assist with the coordination of special projects within the city including but not limited to neighborhood clean-up, natural area clean-up and environmental programs
- May provide supplemental administrative assistance to other divisions within the Community Development Department
- Observe and follow established city and department policies and procedures in the daily performance of job duties
- Performs other similar duties as assigned by the supervisor
- May serve as an Emergency Worker
- Minimum Qualifications
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; and
- A minimum of one year of administrative, code compliance or other related enforcement experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, or work experience, which produces the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background check
- Previous Code Compliance or related enforcement program experience
- Experience with TRAKiT, SeeClickFix or CRM software programs
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Basic knowledge of all city codes; the general layout of the city, locations of city neighborhoods, and the ability to locate property addresses using maps, verbal or written directions, or instructions
- Basic knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of local government code enforcement operations and the ability to apply that knowledge to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position
- Advanced interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; the ability to effectively interact and communicate with individuals of varying social, cultural, economic, professional and educational backgrounds including the ability to effectively deal with individuals who may be angry or skeptical, argumentative or disagreeable; the ability to act with tact, good judgment, and discretion; the ability to effectively work with individuals under stressful conditions; and the ability to maintain the confidentiality of matters as appropriate
- The ability to demonstrate effective conflict resolution skills while working with the public on problem solving and communication both in the field and the office
- Advanced listening skills and the ability to negotiate solutions to problems in tense or difficult situations
- Proficiency in the Office 365 Suite
- Knowledge of customer management software and permitting software